Biomedical Science Rodent Surgical Suite
The BMS Rodent facility is equipped with a brand new, state of the art multi-user surgical facility for Investigators to rent. The Surgical Suite is furnished with four hydraulic surgical stations with adjustable chairs, four transport carts, a static rack for short term post-op recovery and two sinks. In addition the suite is stocked with most supplies needed to perform aseptic rodent surgery according to ACS guidelines. The equipment included is listed in detail at the bottom of this page. Surgical stations can be rented by the hour and also in 4 hour blocks. Please check the ACS fee schedule for current pricing.
To reserve a station a request must be submitted at least 48 hours in advanced and is subject to availability. Requests will be confirmed via email. Contact the Vet Tech Office if questions 273-9587
One stainless steel , hydraulic Surgical station equipped with:
- Isoflurane Anesthesia Machine with attached induction chamber, nose cone and scavenging system
- Glass Bead Sterilizer
- Surgical Light
- Gram Scale
- One rodent cart for retrieving rodents from the housing area. This also functions as a surgical prep table.
- Access to a shared stainless shelf rack that will serve as a place to recover and monitor immediate post-op animals while you continue to work.
- Access to Snuggle safe™ heating pads to provide patient warmth during surgery and recovery.
- Access to a microwave (for heating the Snuggle pads and fluids).
- Non-sterile PPE including Mask, Gowns, Gloves and head covers
- A surgical supply pack that includes:
- One container of Chlorhexidine Scrub and Sterile Saline (for surgical site prep)
- 2×2 gauze pads and cotton Swabs (for surgical site prep)
- One pair of sterile gloves (size 6.5, 7.5, or 9)
- Four syringes (either 1cc or 3cc syringes
- Four needles (22-25 ga)
- Thermometer w/ Thermometer Sheath and Surgilube
- Puralube (protective ophthalmic ointment)
- Absorbent non sterile under pad.
Note: First time users will receive a brief orientation with a member of the veterinary staff on the use of available equipment and additional services provided by ACS.